config.sys missing or corrupt on boot process

bpzoom 12:13 19 Sep 06

I recently reloaded a fresh XP Home on a reformatted C: partition, and added SP2 and all updates. On most but not all occasions when I boot from cold, the message comes up "C:\windows\system\config.sys is either missing or corrupt. You may attempt a repair ete etc." I bypass it by hitting any key and the machine boots up and loads Windows. I do not believe that config.sys is either missing or corrupt, but there is some sort of timing error which throws this up. Does anyone have an opinion on the cause of this and any idea on how to remove the problem please, (apart from attempting the repair of course)?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:51 19 Sep 06

scan an defrag the drives and retry.

bpzoom 18:12 19 Sep 06

OK, I will, but how would a scan and defrag of the C: partition assist please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:11 19 Sep 06

space on drive where file stored is corrupt, hitting key boots windows from back up file and replaces the file but file is written to same place on drive so gets corrupted again.

bpzoom 21:09 19 Sep 06

Defrag done but how do you scan the drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:39 19 Sep 06

Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the local disk that you want to check.

Click Properties, and then click Tools.

Under Error-checking, click Check Now.

Under Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.

Click Start.

bpzoom 22:37 19 Sep 06

Thank you again!

bpzoom 23:12 19 Sep 06

CHKDSK would not progress through stage 4 of 5 "verifying file data". It stays on "0 percent completed" with continuous flashing of the drive light for as long as 5 minutes before I intervened to stop it. did this twice. I can't imagine that 5 minutes is insufficient to make progress from 0 percent.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:52 20 Sep 06

coluld take along time if its a large drive, especially as the coorruption may well be at the start of the drive where the boot files are.

boot to safe mode run check disk and leave overnight

bpzoom 20:22 20 Sep 06

I should have more patience! CHKDSK ran through in one hour, and finished saying the C:volume was clean with no errors. At least it was worth doing just to clear that up. Still remains a mystery why the said file is declared missing or corrupt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…