Config.Sys Error Causing Slow Running

miner 17:33 15 Feb 05

My pc is suffering slow running (W98SE, 2.66mhz) and exhibits the following at startup:-

The following file is missing or corrupted: c:\windows\himen.sys

There is an error in your config.sys file on line 1

Windows Expanded Memory Driver v4.95
copyright etc etc

Emm386 not installed - XMS Manager not present.

Symbios Logic SDMS (TM) v4.0 Dos ISA PNP ASPI

Press any key when ready

Error - this adaptor is either malfunctioning or not present

HP Scanjet II ASPI/CAM driver for Dos version 1.04.

Error no aspi or cam driver found

SJIIX.sys not installed.>

I can't seem to find the necessary on the HP website.

The config.sys shows:-

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEN.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\emm386.exe noems x=a000-f7ff
DOS=HIGH,UMB
device=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\aspi416.sys /OVERRIDE /NO_IRQ /IO=220
device=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\sjiix.sys

Any thoughts.....?

howard60 21:27 15 Feb 05

its a long time since I had this sort of message and the brain is hurting. Do you have the hp device listed if not you can edit the files with notepad and remove the line. With windows 98 I seem to remember that it works ok without config.sys but I could be wrong. If this has only just started happening and you have not rebooted many times you can go back to a previous setting. This is like the precursor to system restore. In dos mode you type scanreg/ restore or scanreg/ fix.

joethebow 23:54 15 Feb 05

Look in your root directory and see if there are any other versions of config. They could have extensions like .tmp .old .bak If you find one rename the config.sys to config.xxx and rename the other file config.sys then reboot. If it doesn't work rename the files back as they were.

If either Himen or Emm386 is not working then windows will not run.

Try starting up from a boot floppy disc then go to C:\ and type WIN It may not work but it should.

If you can get it to the DOS prompt you could run MEMMAKER. It restarts the PC several times and every time it restarts you will need to go back to the prompt and type memmaker again.

It could be that your EMM386 and Himem.sys programmes in the windows\system directory are corrupt. You could copy these from another syatem running the same version of windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…