config.nt.

rawprawn 15:14 23 Jan 04

I am trying to reinstall some Psion software & I get the message "Config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows". It was OK about a month ago, I have run sfc/ scanonce (on boot) but no improvement. Any ideas

spikeychris 16:06 23 Jan 04

Have you tried click here rawprawn?

rawprawn 17:06 23 Jan 04

Thanks Chris Ive been looking all over with no luck. I have to go out this evening so I will try to resolve it tomorrow. I will let you know how I get on.
Dennis

rawprawn 10:23 24 Jan 04

I printed out the web page you pointed me to and tried this morning, but when I enter what it says at the command prompt I get the message "destination is not a directory" I have tried 3 times in case I have not entered the correct way but I still get the same answer. Do you know if this problem will affect other programs ? I know it says Windows 16 bit but I don't know what that means. I'm not really bothered about the Psion because I had problems with it before which made me uninstall. It was just that I thought I would have another go to see if I could cure the problems.

spikeychris 11:03 24 Jan 04

Rawprawn, when you type in the commands, what are they?

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt

Note that it says *CD-ROM Drive Letter* what are you typing in place. I will look like this...

spikeychris 11:04 24 Jan 04

It will look like this....

expand D:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt

Change D: to whatever your drive letter is.

rawprawn 11:27 24 Jan 04

I feel like a real grow bag, I typed exactly what it said instead of putting the drive letter in. I will try again now.

rawprawn 11:36 24 Jan 04

Now I am getting the message "the device is not ready" each time I press enter.

spikeychris 12:03 24 Jan 04

Just tried it on mine and it works. Have you put an installation disk in the drive? ""the device is not ready" is not an error message I would of expected, restart and shutdown all other programs including AV...everything! and retry.

If you don't have the disk and Windows is sat on the C: drive type this...

expand C:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt

Please note I have never expanded from i386 from C: as I always have disks, cant see there being a problem its just that you are going to grab the files from a pre-installed system rather than a disk.

Have to pop out and will be gone for a while but I'll look in on you later.

Create a restore point first if using C:, as said I cant see there being a problem but its best to make sure.

Chris

rawprawn 12:10 24 Jan 04

Will have another go this afternoon, Idid not put the XP installation disc in the drive. thanks again
Dennis

rawprawn 13:27 24 Jan 04

Still having problems,in case I am making another idiot mistake here is exactly what I have done. I put the WXP installation disc in e drive, clicked exit, then start/run/cmd then typed
e:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt
I get a message "The system cannot find the patch specified" Thanks for your patience.
Dennis

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…