xoc 14:50 11 Jun 03

Can anyone explain in simple terms, what is held in a file called "Config.Msi"
I've had occasion to run a virus scan and noticed that this particular file seemed to take a long time to scan.
So, when the scan was finished, thankfully with an all-clear result, I took a look at this file.
It resides on my second hard drive, is 250Mb in size, dates from the year 1995, and ends in Jan. 2000.
The icon, which precedes each entry, of which there would appear to be thousands! is greyed out.
My query is, whether this file has any relevance to any program operation, as it doesn't appear to have any entry since Jan 2000, and of course whether I can safely delete it?

JoeC 16:07 11 Jun 03

Q. I have a mysterious folder called config.msi that now holds nearly 78 megabytes of files. These files all end with the .rbf extension. What are they, and can the contents of this folder be safely deleted?

A. Microsoft's developers, in their infinite wisdom and generosity, created this folder and these files on your system to allow you to back out of an upgrade to Office 2000. In the event that you experience problems with your installation, these files allow you to uninstall Office 2000 and go back to your previous version of Office.

If you are confident that your Office program is working properly, you can delete this folder and all the contents.

I would suggest that you may just want to rename the folder to config.msi.old and see how things go for a week or so. If all is well, go in and reclaim that disk space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…