conficker worm whats the story anyone

patso 20:16 27 Mar 09

there is a scare going round about the windows conficker worm and the damage it can do,does anyone have info on this as it is supposed to bypass most anti virus progs,how do we know we are safe and how do we protect from it,will microsoft offer a patch in windows update as it is supposed to strike on ther 1st of April.I am using AVG 8 with xp home will this be good enough to stop it?thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:42 27 Mar 09
  Bris 21:08 27 Mar 09

Might be wrong but I think Microsoft patched this in October so if your Windows is up to date with all the latest patches you should be OK.

patso 23:34 27 Mar 09

thanks for the replies my windows update is set to auto so hopefully i will be ok thanks again cheers

gazzaho 06:07 28 Mar 09

This gives some info on it click here as far as I can make out if you're infected then come April 1st you may have some trouble or you may not. As it states on the link I gave if you can't log onto security sites then there's a possibility you're infected, if you have security software installed and up to date then you should be fine.

Bris is somewhat right in that the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool was updated to remove the infection, but as far as I'm aware it only runs when an update for the tool is applied during an updating session. This means you could be infected after the last time the tool was applied during a Windows update. The only way to lessen your chances of infection is to have a fully updated security suite running at all times as all the top vendors now have protection against it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant