conection speed

geewis 23:49 10 Jul 03

Hi guys
I use a standard 56k modem and my conection speed never goes above 28.6kbs but my brother in law regularly surfs at 40+ so does my next door neighbour what could be the matter, I now have a very high end speck PC p4 2.2 with a gig of ram, the only thing I can think of is that over the last cuple of years the one thing I have never changed is the modem cable could this be the problem, I also use a 15" extintion cable to get me to the phone socket, has any body got any Ideas

woodchip 23:59 10 Jul 03

My extensions about 80 feet. And I get 48000bps it may be you have a bad line outside

woodchip 00:00 11 Jul 03

It may also be a dax shared line

geewis 00:08 11 Jul 03

you may be corect but what I failed to point out is that since I first started surfing some 3 years ogo I mooved houses and changed PCs but still no faster conection but the guy who lives next door to me has a conection speed of 40+ kbs, the only thing that has never changed it the cable I use.

ronm 00:25 11 Jul 03

It is most probably your internet provider I am with Freeserve and only get 31.2 kb but when I tried AOL I was getting over 40Kb, I think they are trying to get us to sign up for broadband

Quiller. 07:01 11 Jul 03

Yes, trying a new extension and phone cable is a good idea.

I was asked to look at an X\P machine that had varying connection speeds. The telephone extension lead had been fed under the hall carpet. I tried the extension out by plugging the house phone in the socket. The distortion was terrible.

A new telephone extension, £4.75, was fixed to the skirting board. It is now surfing at 45.2kbs, always. I also put a spare, unused, modem cable in.

slimpickins 09:25 11 Jul 03

I run a campaign on the west of Scotland to get rid of them and in every case of a speed below 33kbps there is a DACS on the line.

They are also installed to put a second line in a house and at the exchange. That your neighbour has a good line is not unusual.

Phone BT customer services and ask them to test the line, they will tekll you if one is present.

DieSse 09:40 11 Jul 03

But it could also be the modem, and/or the modem setup.

Or it could be you have too many other devices on the line. Disconnect them all (even the Sky box?) and try.

A good plan would b to ask your neighbours or friends who can get higher speeds, if you could try your system on their line. This would at least tell you if it's a line or modem/system problem

shortcircuit 09:49 11 Jul 03

Sorry Diesse.

Would normally agree with you,but this sounds like a Dacs line. I bet the house is a newish semi. I had one in my house Hado buy Homehighway from Bt. What ripoff!! I basicly paid £30 per month for a year +£100 install with modem=£460, to get a similar speed to my brothers down the road. You darent use 128K as the bills were astrinomical. After a year, I dumped it but they told me that my line would no longer be shared.Old story..now with BBand. Bliss!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…