conecting a second computer.

castiel333 10:43 17 Sep 07

Hi

I have two desktop computers in the same room. One of them is connected to the internet with a virgin media broadband modem and is connected to the pc with a usb cable.

The modem also has a connection for an ethernet cable.

If I purchased an ethernet cable and connected the second pc to the same modem and installed the software for that modem could someone please tell me if I would then be able to connect to the internet.

keef66 10:53 17 Sep 07

Is the Virgin Media broadband via cable? If so, that's what I have got.

With the cable modem you have the choice of connecting to your first pc by usb or by ethernet, hence the 2 sockets. (NTL used to recommend using the ethernet option)

To connect a second pc to share the connection you need a cable router. Both pc's are attached to the router via ethernet and the router is connected in turn to the modem.

castiel333 11:00 17 Sep 07

Yes it is via cable.

Thank you for your reply. I have read that if you use a router you need to instal a network card into the second pc. Please can you tell me if this is true.

keef66 12:05 17 Sep 07

Newer pc's have networking built in, older ones didn't. If it has an ethernet socket you're OK, otherwise you're right and you'll need to fit a network card.

Both my pc's needed network cards fitting in order to share the internet connection, but it was a cheap and simple thing to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…