conagent.exe

Alan H E 14:59 22 Jun 05

I have had message at start up that either can't find folder or on other occasions that the file is not a DOS file or is corrupt. Am running W 98se and used scan disc and scanned with spybot a squared adaware & AVG all updated. Found file & date in properties is original system load date. Everything so far seems to be working so need I worry? Also anyone know what it does?

Gongoozler 15:53 22 Jun 05

Hi Alan. As far as I can tell, conagent.exe is 32-bit console support - whatever that means. Can you tell me exactly at which point in start up this message appears, i.e. is it before or after Windows has loaded?

Alan H E 17:21 22 Jun 05

Hi Gongoozler - it comes up after program icons and after Incd but before AVG &Zone Alarm - if I get the message it couldn't find folder that comes up at the end of start up. Sorry so long in replying had to go out.

Alan H E 17:24 22 Jun 05

PS - I only have recovery CD which insists on reformating so can't load windows over the top or anything like that.

Alan H E 17:40 22 Jun 05

Got to go out shortly - will check late tonight.

Gongoozler 17:40 22 Jun 05

Hi Alan. Thats a pity, I was hoping that it was before Windows started, then the solution would have been easy. Try using System File Checker to replace conagent.exe click here. If that doesn't help, try stopping programs loading at startup using msconfig via Start - Run - msconfig to see if you can detect which one is causing the problem. I'll elaborate on that later if you need me to.

Alan H E 00:00 23 Jun 05

Back again - SFC said files ok restarted & still the same. Full message is The file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CONAGENT.EXE is not a validMS-Dos program file. It may be damaged. Will try suggestion of msconfig tomorrow but there are no new programs for at least 2 months & this only started Tuesday. On symantecs site conagent.exe is mentioned in connection with backdoor gaobot. Do you think that thats the route to follow?

Gongoozler 06:42 23 Jun 05

Hi Alan. I've seen the references to backdoor gaobot, but they don't seem to me to match your situation. The reference to MS-DOS suggests that CONAGENT.EXE is being called by a DOS instruction, so although the error message occurs after Windows has opened it might still be worth looking at the system DOS files. Go to Start - Run - Sysedit and see if you can find any reference to CONAGENT there. click here

Alan H E 13:37 23 Jun 05

Thanks for your continuing interest Gongoozler. Tried sysedit & can't find it mentioned.

Alan H E 14:24 23 Jun 05

^^

Gongoozler 14:37 23 Jun 05

Hi Alan. I'm sorry that I can't offer any really useful ideas, but as no-one else has come into this discussion I suspect that no other forum members have any useful ideas either. My suggestions are that you try the trojan removal method from Symantec click here, and if that doesn't work then either live with the message or better still, back up all your files and reformat / reinstall. At least that way you will start with a nice clean Windows installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…