Coms port

winksey 10:32 13 Apr 08

Can someone tell me how I can find out what is using my Com port because when I tried to use it by connecting to the serial port the message no available COM port was displayed.

Technotiger 11:00 13 Apr 08

In Device Manager scroll down to and expand Ports.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:10 13 Apr 08

check comms ports not disabled in BIOS.

winksey 09:05 14 Apr 08

Ive checked BIOS and all ok and ive looked in device manager, how do I tell if it is being used, I expanded the ports and it does'nt seem to give that info.

Technotiger 09:26 14 Apr 08

Hmm, what is it exactly that you are trying to connect?

Technotiger 09:32 14 Apr 08

click here download and run this (Free) very useful tool. You should be able to find what devices are connected and where.

winksey 10:24 14 Apr 08

No joy but it seems COM1 is an internal port and I have an external serial port which I was connecting to so could it be possible that I may have to change my settings somehow to incorporate the external port, or am I way off thinking that.

Technotiger 10:42 14 Apr 08

You have not said, what it is which you are trying to connect?

winksey 12:21 14 Apr 08

Sorry, its a modem, and ive just found that COMS 3 & 4 are in use, my internal modem is connected to 4 but as yet I cannot find what is using COM 3 and as I understand it COMMS 1 & 3 are linked somehow.

Technotiger 12:40 14 Apr 08

Why not dis-connect your internal modem then to free-up a port? You won't use two modems.

winksey 12:51 14 Apr 08

Can I disconnect my internal modem without opening up my computer. The problem of not being able to use my external COM port will still be there though or will this rectify that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant