Computor freezing

Freddy 08:53 23 May 04

I have a Advent 3.0 Ghz intel pentium4 512DDR and Geforce 4MX440 graphics card. I am running XP.It has suddenly started to freeze after a while. The screen locks on what ever I am doing the mouse pointer still moves but I get no response from any keyboard strokes. The only way to restart is to switch it off by the on off switch. When it is restarted I do not get any message to say that it was shut down incorrectly it just starts as normal. As far as I can remember I haven`t loaded any software or made any changes when this started. The last software uploaded was Pinnicle Studio 7. I have run a virus check with Macafee and also run SpyBot all to no avail.
Funny thing is I have another computor that does the same running win98 that no one could sort out which is why I bought the Advent in the first place
Any help would be appreciated

Freddy

User-312386 09:15 23 May 04

I had this a number of days ago

Complete lock up yeah?

Carry out a full disk check and a defrag and then come back to us

matt1234 09:21 23 May 04

it sounds like a bit of software is hangin causing the pc to crash!

go to safe mode and see if it does it if it does its a driver causing it! Try updating your windows graphics etc

Freddy 10:33 23 May 04

Done a defrag. It froze halfway through the first attempt. Seems to take about 35mins before it freezes. Just to make sure I also deleted the last program I installed. its now been running for 36 mins so we will see.
Thanks for responses
Freddy

rickf 10:52 23 May 04

Try ctrl, alt, delete when it freezes the next time which may tell you what prog. is not running and start from there.

Freddy 17:10 23 May 04

Thanks for the replies. Did a defrag and its now been running for 7 hours without locking. Thanks
madboy33©®. I`ll reinstall pinicle at a later date and see what happens.

Rickf, thanks for the tip. i did give it a go but even that didn`t work.

freddy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…