Computers and TV License's

jameth182 19:52 28 Sep 07

Just a quick query .....

Do you need a TV License when using a PC??

I'm needing to know because where I am living, I am being acused of not having a TV license and I'm not using my PC for broadcasting uses....

Is it true?

Tim1964 19:57 28 Sep 07

If the PC is 'capable of receiving television broadcasts' then YES.

This includes TVs (of course), DVD recorders, PVRs and VCRs as these have tuners in them.

If your PC does not have a TV card in it then you do not need a license.

Tim1964 20:00 28 Sep 07

Just found this.

click here

It seems that if you watch LIVE broadcasts then a licence IS required but how the authorities would ever find out I don;t know.

fishface113 20:02 28 Sep 07

If you can see it then you must be licensed no matter what the source!

If you do not have a tv card then it does not apply.

It does not matter if you use it or not just being capable requires a license.

jameth182 20:04 28 Sep 07

Cheers

LLF 18:07 17 Jan 11

"It does not matter if you use it or not just being capable requires a license."

Nonsense.

A licence is only required if a device is "installed or used" for the purposes of watching or recording live TV.

Merely having a device capable of displaying, or recording, live TV is not enough:-

Communications Act 2003, Section 368:-

(3)References in this Part to using a television receiver are references to using it for receiving television programmes.

john bunyan 21:06 17 Jan 11

This thread is 3 1/2 years old!

woodchip 21:25 17 Jan 11

Also if you have a home TV licence you will not need one for PC even if it does have a TV card

dororof 23:23 17 Jan 11

john,
i am new to the forum but i consider this to be an important topic.I believe that more people will,in future,seek more content online including 'live broadcasts' so it is important that people understand the legal ramifications.
Personally i was thinking of buying a small 'portable tv' until someone said i needed a seperate licence to view,needless to say i changed my mind.
Old or new this is a 'live debate'.

LLF 23:30 17 Jan 11

"Personally i was thinking of buying a small 'portable tv' until someone said i needed a seperate licence to view"

You don't need a "seperate licence".

If you have one for your household, you don't need a second one.

dororof 00:15 18 Jan 11

LLF,
I don't doubt you knowledge but can you give a link ... re your post regarding Communications ACT,please.
I feel this area needs a full debate ,not just on a 'forum' but in the 'mainstream'.
Sorry about me grammar,but heh.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5