Computers not showing up in My Network Places

Boycey 22:40 06 Jan 06

Here's a curious thing - I'm running a home network through an ADSL router consisting of one "wired" desktop PC running XP Home and one wireless laptop running XP Pro. The problem I am having is with the laptop. It connects wirelessly to the router and internet without problems. However, when I open My Network Places, neither the desktop PC nor the laptop itself appear (but they DO appear in MNP on the desktop). Fortunately, I can access the files and the shared printer happily enough using UNC searches (I've simply put desktop shortcuts to the relevant locations), but nonetheless, I am rather stumped as to why it will not let me navigate through the network using the browser. Similarly, the "view workgroup computers" option doesn't work, giving me a "you may not have permission/list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available" type error message.

Have checked that the browser service is running, and indeed it is. Desktop PC is able to see the workgroup without any issues. Most odd.

Any suggestions?!

mgmcc 10:18 07 Jan 06

Does this Microsoft article help? click here

Boycey 09:05 08 Jan 06

Thanks for the reply, but alas no, I have seen that article already and it sheds no light on this particular problem - I have checked the things it mentions and everything is as it should be.

I know the whole Windows Network Neighbourhood thing has never been entirely satisfactory, and I wonder if maybe I just need to do a repair on Windows. Maybe I'll try that if nothing else turns up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…