Computer(s) Kaput?

Stowit 21:02 13 Aug 04

My friends 700Mhz Celeron Win 98 64mb PC stoped working, no post beep & monitor remains in stand-by. It was diagnosed as either processor or mobo fault by another friend & he thus aquired a 450 Mhz Celeron , Win 98 again with 64mb. A lot of buggering about he instaled his original HDD & all seemed peachy but another friend checked his original modem & said it was broken. Then gave him a replacement without drivers. He normaly uses a network to access Broadband. The new modem wouldn't work so he reinstalled the orginal modem. Now the 'new' PC won't work, same symptoms. (modem present or not) Any suggestions, could the modem have damaged both mobos or processors?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:11 13 Aug 04

any sound of fans running on power supply?

could have dragged too much current from psu and blown internal fuses.

woodchip 21:13 13 Aug 04

If he had checked the PSU Power supply in the other computer it would have more than likely worked with a new one

Stowit 21:22 13 Aug 04

Sorry I didn't say LED on mobo is on for PWR, processor fan running. Not sure but he thinks HDD spining. He has tried another HDD to no avail.

woodchip 21:42 13 Aug 04

all what you say does not mean that the PSU is working as it should

ensonricky 21:54 13 Aug 04

To directly answer the original question it is highly unlikely that any damage has been caused to the motherboard or cpu. I agree with other postings that the most likely culprit is a faulty or underpowered psu. Try removing all unessential devices including removable drives and rebooting.

Stowit 22:34 13 Aug 04

I've just advised my friend as above. Another sympom is the power switch on the front turns of on one press. Not the usual press & hold for 10 seconds. It's quite possible, but if
originaly if it was the PSU, why did it blow? Anyway I suspect I'll be back tomorrow evening with the next griping installment!!!!!!! Thanks for now.

woodchip 22:38 13 Aug 04

PSU are a weak link

woodchip 22:41 13 Aug 04

PSU are a weak link. PS even the best. they are Cheap and tacky. they just about do there job. Not like a Good old Transformer Power supply, with plenty of power, but then how much would computers cost if they fitted all the good stuff

Stowit 10:04 16 Aug 04

PSUs checked this weekend, & swapped - both seem to be working within normal parameters. One was only 230 watt (450 Mhz pc), but the larger (280 watt - 700 mhz pc) has run its' pc for over 2 yrs. When fitted to the other still wouldn't run that. As I say, voltage checks both ok anyway. The mystery continues.............. Help !

woodchip 17:33 16 Aug 04

Then it is more than likely CPU is shot, Try removing it and refit it the pins may have got tarnished

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…