computers dead are aliens involved? help

pupae 21:05 12 Feb 04

after picking up my new computer yesterday, it seemed perfectly ok i had loaded my adobe reader, office xp, printer, the kids sims games etc. before i went to bed, after browsing the postings and reading a post about using your puter in its spare time to help SETI (search for inteligent life)analyse data collected from radio telescopes, i downloaded it and went to bed, and left it running when i got up at about 8am it was still working fine, when i returned anhour later it had crashed, so i reset puter and started it again, after about 1/2 hour it did it again so deciding it was probably [email protected] causing the crash i uninstaled it. this seemed to make a bit of difference but it then kept freezing, so i went to microsoft updates to download the service pack4 (downloaded sp1 this morning) but it kept stopping after a few mins tried several times, eventualy after pressing the install button nothing happens, then puter started turning itself off, so i thought ill reinstall windows but now it wont even start up it goes to the first screen then stops, if you press delete to enter set up it says, opening setup but nothing happens please help. win2000 with office xp

jakimo 21:14 12 Feb 04

Have you tried a restore?

pupae 21:15 12 Feb 04

how i cant get into set up? is there another way?

VoG II 21:17 12 Feb 04

Set up gets you into the BIOS - why do you want to do that?

The Spires 21:20 12 Feb 04

Do you have anti-virus software installed?

pupae 21:20 12 Feb 04

i want to try reinstaling windows, i dont know what else to do

pupae 21:22 12 Feb 04

mcafee firewall , iwas trying to download avg the last time it crashed and havnt been able to start it since

VoG II 21:26 12 Feb 04

Try putting the Windows 2000 disk in the CD drive and start the computer.

pupae 21:33 12 Feb 04

ok thanx thats got it booted, but how can i find the problem any ideas?

johnnyrocker 21:41 12 Feb 04

wouldn't worry about it a system restore should resolve it.

johnny.

VoG II 21:43 12 Feb 04

That's it - it just booted? I was expecting either:

Offer to reinstall Windows, or

Nothing.

Why booting with the disk in the drive should enable it to boot up is a mystery (to me).

If you restart, can you now enter set up (with or without the Windows CD in the Drive)? If so change the boot order to CD-ROM first, exit the BIOS (saving changes) then reboot with the Windows CD in the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…