Computer/Internet problem

IanR_ 14:57 20 Jun 06

Hi a work mate has a computer that he 'thinks' has a virus of some sort.I have got him to run Stinger with no effect,he has also run Adaware & McFee.When he trys to get on the internet he gets a blank screen with nothing loading.
Can anyone help with this?

mgmcc 17:01 20 Jun 06

<<< When he trys to get on the internet he gets a blank screen with nothing loading. >>>

Do you mean that his web browser isn't opening web pages? If so, is the computer actually connected to the internet (Dialup/ADSL/Cable) or is there a failure in the internet connection itself?

Running IPCONFIG /ALL in a Command Prompt window will show details of all network adapters in the PC. From this you should be able to see if the adapter used to connect to the internet has got its IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses from the ISP.

IanR_ 18:30 20 Jun 06

Cheers i will get him to take a look

IanR_ 08:34 21 Jun 06

Ok ive had another talk with him this morning,and hes now saying when he clicks on his homepage it comes up with a black screen apart from a 1/2 inch at the bottom of the screen which shows his homepage.Hes got a 'MS Word' symbol on his tool bar,if he clicks on this the homepage opens up but cant do anything.

mgmcc 10:46 21 Jun 06

I don't know where MS Word would come into it unless the extensions "HTM" and/or "HTML" have become associated with Word (Winword.exe) instead of Internet Explorer, or whichever web browser he uses.

He should open Windows Explorer and from its menus, "Tools > Folder options", select the File Types tab. Scroll down to the extensions HTM and HTML and check that they are set to "Open with" a web browser, as shown at the bottom of the box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…