computer works but screen is blank

Hammersmith 17:58 13 Sep 05

At least once a day my computer screen goes blank, normally after playing music files or video editing/dvd burning, and then coloured lines appear on the screen. The computer is working ok behind the sceens but I cant see what's going on!
Ther system is 98se, 512ram,64 card and Athlon 2000,4 years old.
I'm pretty sure its the card (ATI all in wonder)not working. The fans running ok,card properly seated in the slot.
New flat screen too.
Any ideas?

DieSse 18:05 13 Sep 05

Make sure your refresh rate is not too high - some TFTs can have trouble coping.

Standard refresh rate for a TFT is 60Hz (see your manual).

Stuartli 18:05 13 Sep 05

I had exactly the same problem with an ATI Radeon graphics card - the drivers, I discovered, were not up to scratch even though the latest version was installed.

On switching on the system, the monitor revealed masses of coloured lines and no amount of configuration would make them go away, other then to let it do so over a period of about half-a-hour.

I was very quickly back into familiar nVidia chipset graphics card territory after swapping the (new) ATI card for a GeforceFX (the ATI had had to be bought in a hurry).

woodchip 18:24 13 Sep 05

As a above try the Old Card Drivers of the CD you got with the G/Card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…