computer wont turn on

sidley 21:06 21 May 09

Hi,
can anyone help please. I have just been given a pc and it was working fine when used last which was about a year ago. When I turn the pc on it starts to boot, c.d and d.v.d drive etc all start but after about 5 seconds it just stops. If you hold the start button on the same still happens. Would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Technotiger 21:08 21 May 09

Having been unused for so long, I would expect that the Mobo battery needs replacing.

Technotiger 21:10 21 May 09

BTW, holding the start button on for more than 4 seconds, is a way to switch off the computer anyway.

Technotiger 21:12 21 May 09

Oops - missed out the word 'off' between the words, computer and anyway :-)

Technotiger 21:13 21 May 09

Sorry, just having a Senior Moment! Ignore my previous comment.

sidley 21:25 21 May 09

Hi,
a friend said about battery and have changed that so thats a no go. Just remembered when I first tried to turn the pc on I heard quite a loud cracking noise from the monitor and then everything shut down, have disconnected monitor and tried again but its the symptoms I previously said. Im guessing the monitor is dead for a start, but for the pc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:26 21 May 09

Fast shut down are usually because of overheat

clear out all the dust and fluff and retry.

Technotiger 21:32 21 May 09

Apart from the possible over-heating, can you tried another monitor?

sidley 21:42 21 May 09

ok will have a good clean out and get back to you thanks for quick responses

OTT_Buzzard 21:51 21 May 09

Wondering if it's a graphics issue? If the graphics adaptor went 'bang' on power up then that could cause a nasty feed through to the monitor.
5 seconds is just about in the right time frame for VGA detection as well if it's not gone smoothly (it's normally a little quicker than that)

If the PC has a dedicated grahpics AND onboard graphics then unplug the dedicated card and plug straight in to the motherboard.

citadel 21:54 21 May 09

psu's don't react well to been left unused. it could have a fault.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…