Computer won't turn on.

Ranger 14:49 14 Apr 09

I have a Dell Dimension 5000. For the last few months I have intermittently been unable to switch on the p.c. The first time it happened the button I press turned to flashing orange instead of green and pc wouldn't power up. Even when i disconnect it from the mains the power button will still remain lit as orange for a while. I put it into the local repair shop and when they pressed the button it started first time. They checked everything inside the p.c. but could find no faults. motherboard, fan, power unit etc working fine. Cost me £60! I've turned off hibernation , stand by etc. If i leave the p.c. for several hours it will switch on. it's really frustrating. Does anyone have any clues what has gone wrong?

DieSse 14:55 14 Apr 09

I had a Power Supply that acted like this once.

It's impossible to deduce what may be the problem, many different parts might cause it - you'll only find out by substitution. Try unplugging the PSU from the motherboard, and firmly replacing the connector first - then try another PSU.

"Even when i disconnect it from the mains the power button will still remain lit as orange for a while."

That's normal - it usually takes a fair few seconds for the power from the PSU to die fully away.

Ranger 15:05 14 Apr 09

DieSse, Thanks for that suggestion. I will check out the price / availability of another PSU and give your idea a go.

woodchip 15:06 14 Apr 09

Well I would say the same thing faulty PSU

woodchip 15:07 14 Apr 09

Well I would say the same thing faulty PSU.#

PS before you do have a look at the 13amp plug for loose wires, screws. try another kettle lead

Ranger 15:19 14 Apr 09

Woodchip. Have tried several leads without success. The PSU is looking like the guilty party. Thanks for your contribution

Ranger 14:15 04 May 09

A colleague at work had the exact PSU I needed. Swapped it over and problem resolved. PC starts up every time now.Thanks to all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…