Computer won't start up after hard drive upgrade

wednesday 13 10:47 07 Jun 14
Answered

Hi

I have just upgraded the boot hard drive to an SSD using the OCZ upgrade kit and a Crucial M500 drive. The cloning process ran without any issues, I checked the drive in Windows 8 after it rebooted and everything looked okay, but after shutting down and switching out the two drives, the computer will not start up.

It will power on, and sound like it is running some of the BIOS processes, however I do not get the beep to state it has finished and booting into Windows, nor do I get any form of video output. if I leave it so long, it will shut itself off and then every few seconds try to restart itself, but from then on it will only power up for a split second, and the DVD drive will make a horrible clicking noise.

I have tried slowly stripping parts out to see if I can get it to run further, but with no drives installed and even without the graphics card, the most I can get is the power up over a second. It does sound like it does something with the drives if they are connected.

Would anyone be able to advise on what I should do next? Obviously, without any BIOS error beeps, it is very difficult to pinpoint the issue. The computer is only 2 years old, a custom built desktop. I just find it strange to not be getting any video output through the on board or PCI graphics card.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Jollyjohn 11:31 07 Jun 14
Answer

If it is not getting to the beep stage I would suggest a power supply problem. I am assuming it beeped before, therefore there is a speaker connected.

Go back to the original build, use onboard graphics, unplug any USB devices except keyboard. Then very carefully unplug and replug all power connections. Pop out the CMOS battery, wait 30 seconds, replace.

Try starting the PC. If you still get nothing, try a different power supply. If it starts you will get a message about "Enter setup or press F1 to continue"

If you get nothing with a different power supply then your motherboard is faulty. But I suspect PSU because a motherboard with nothing connected will run POST (Power On Self Test) and beep like crazy and probably shut down again.

Good luck. I am away for the weekend now so I hope someone steps in if you need more help.

wednesday 13 00:16 08 Jun 14

Thanks Jollyjohn, as suggested I carefully removed and reconnected the power cables and stayed with using the on board graphics. I left the CMOS battery just to see if I could get any response as it was, and I managed to get the display working again. I then jumped straight into the BIOS and checked the configurations and it seemed to be ignoring the new drive, so I set it take boot priority and then it ran into Windows 1st time.

It is still showing some issues, I can get into Windows fine, however the new Hard drive slows right down to the point of practically freezing the computer. I tried to look in task manager and can't see any processes causing much of a load on the disk drives, but any program that makes much use of it will slow down and stop responding, at which point the computer becomes unusable and won't complete a shut down.

I attempted safe mode, which seemed to work okay, although I couldn't use many programs as their services wouldn't load. Do you think this is still a hardware issue or would it be best to re-install Windows at this point?

Jollyjohn 11:25 09 Jun 14

Glad it is working, rules out power supply failure. I had a similar issue and it was the small 4 pin connector that I hadn't connected properly.

For the SSD - does your motherboard support an SSD? Have read elsewhere on this forum about changing the hard drive type in the bios. AHCI - rings a bell, hopefully someone else can shed a bit more light on this.

wednesday 13 12:01 09 Jun 14

Thanks again for your responses,

my motherboard does have AHCI support, these were the settings I checked once I managed to get the video output back.

I will try a fresh re-install of Windows, I've luckily not lost any data through the process so it's not going to hurt giving it a go. I will let you know how it goes

Jollyjohn 15:53 09 Jun 14

You could run Windows Easy Transfer wizard on your "old" computer and save the stuff to an external drive.

Then when you have installed Windows, run the wizard again, as new computer and guide it to the external drive.

This will move all your data and most of your settings, e-mail setup, favourites etc and will generate a report of what has been done.

wednesday 13 11:19 14 Jun 14

Thank you for your help with this, I backed up everything I needed to my second drive and performed a fresh installation of Windows reformatting the drive. It is all working perfectly again now.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…