Computer Won't Start

SantasLittleHelper 08 Nov 11

Hi All, I have a self built computer that has had a PSU problem, I have replaced the PSU but it won't start up, it has an Antec 500 case, MSI K9AGM3 motherboard and a ATI PCI-E graphics card. Sometimes when I switch it on it tries to start the case fan and CPU fan but only for a split second. I have tried swapping the power switch plug with the reset plug, but still no joy, I have double and triple checked all the connections and they seem ok, does any one have any tips or ideas I can try? Many Thanks, Phil

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 08 Nov 11

Disconnect HDDs and DVD drives an retry

If Ok then reconnect one at a time to find the faulty one.

If still will not boot remove all bu one stick of memory and retry

Also check for shorts between motherboard and frame.

Hi, have tried your suggestions but still no joy, I know the PSU requires a current draw to kick start but I don't quite understand what this entails, can you help. Phil

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 08 Nov 11

Sounds like mew PSU is faulty or old PSU took motherboard with it.

PSU usually requires a load across it before it will respond to the start signal.

PSU TEST http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm

http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt2.html

Hi, I have tried just about everything I know now(not a lot!), the case and CPU fans just make a little jump, as if they are trying to start and then nothing, I am now losing the will to live! Phil

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

See 24 hours in London in 1 minute with Paul Richardson's hyperlapse film

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message