computer wont start

nonowtatall 21:07 13 Oct 09

i have a hp pavillion desktop and when i come to start it up comes the hp logo then the windows xp home and then it goes black screen with a cursor or some thing flashing in the top left hand corner then it goes to a blue screen then back to black it does this all the time i have tried going into bios and nothing happens tried f8 and last known good configer still nothing what can i do next as i am not sure if i opened a email that might have caused it to do this

peter99co 21:45 13 Oct 09
  Ex plorer 23:48 13 Oct 09

Just a thought have you tried booting with the XP disc in drive? press any key to boot from disc.

Ex plorer 00:01 14 Oct 09

Follow the link for a repair. click here

nonowtatall 10:26 14 Oct 09

yes peter99cd i can get into safe mode but when i tried last good confif nothing happened it was just the same
hi explorer my computer is an hp with the os built into it how do i get the xp disc to boot it i also looked at the repair thing but i dont have any hp discs so will any xp home do the trick i will keep trying it will be slow as i have to use another friends computer to connect to you

Ex plorer 10:37 14 Oct 09

I stand to be corrected here but as far as I know you can use any XP disk for a repair is there an xp registration number on the PC if so you you may have to use it.

Ex plorer 10:56 14 Oct 09

I found this on the XP repair and using other XP disks on this site.click here
If you do a repair (DO Not Use (Recovery Console for repair).

sharpamat 08:47 16 Oct 09

HPs do not come with an xp disc as it is preinstall. the activation serial is not normally on the caseing but on the HD

If you made a set of restore discs AND your personal data has been backed up. Then I would restore. IF data has not been backed up you will lose all of your data if you take ths roure

HP do have ab inbuild repair normally comes on around the logo page or press the F Keys untill yoy find the correcr one

sharpamat 08:50 16 Oct 09

HPs do not come with an XP disc as it is reinstalled. the activation serial is not normally on the casing but on the HD

If you made a set of restore discs AND your personal data has been backed up. Then I would restore. IF data has not been backed up you will lose all of your data if you take this route

HP do have an inbuilt repair it normally comes on around the logo page or press the F Keys until you find the correct one

nonowtatall 13:19 16 Oct 09

hi sharpamat
this model has been to a repair clinic once before and came back with lots o9f things missing including the restore so f10 does mnot work i put a dell disc in and went through the repair thing and it got nearlly thee and a sign said wait i waited 2 hours and tried again same thing i went into bios nearly got it working and it froze again on the desktop screensaver what next i have saved all my documents and some other stuff that looks like sound and other drivers should i format or DBAN the hd to really clean it

Ex plorer 17:11 16 Oct 09

Any chance its a stick of ram gone bad if there is two inside take one out and see what happens then try the other one. Be careful how you handle it keep fingers on the edges.
Switch off PC before removing and replacing Ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009