Computer won't start

sheila.weston 11:41 30 Jun 09

Has anyone any ideas of what is wrong, please, before I call in a technician? My old desktop XP pc wouldn't turn on this morning. It is completely dead. I have checked the connections and changed the fuse(13 amp)in the plug. My husband has checked that the fuse is OK.

A number of times recently it has stopped working (ie just turned itself off)for no reason that I could see, but it started normally the next morning.

We haven't had any thunderstorms (yet!).

Many thanks for any help.

Technotiger 11:44 30 Jun 09

I would say that almost certainly your PSU has died. Not too expensive or difficult to replace the PSU (Power Supply Unit).

PO79 11:45 30 Jun 09

The symptoms you describe would suggest to me that in the recent heatwave your PC was overheating (sudden shutdowns etc). It may be that something has "fried" on the mobo. My first port of call would be to check the PSU, as a totally dead machine would suggest no power.

PO79 11:46 30 Jun 09

Must type faster, aplogies.

Technotiger 11:47 30 Jun 09
  Technotiger 11:49 30 Jun 09

We all do it - apologies not necessary, but thanks anyway.

Graphicool1 11:52 30 Jun 09

It sounds like it's the CPU (Processor) My guess, when it kept turning off without warning, it was overheating. Perhaps you had trouble with the fan. That was when you should have contacted us. All your data will still be on the HDD so chances are you haven't lost anything. That's the only consolation I can offer.

sheila.weston 20:01 30 Jun 09

Many thanks, all. This makes sense. I'll probably wait until the end of this hot spell. It will be a good opportunity to see if I can manage with the laptop and external drives only. I *think* that I have transferred all my data, but only time will tell.

Ex plorer 20:18 30 Jun 09

I agree with Graphicool1 when you first had trouble
and Technotiger with the later.
If and when you replace the PSU you must change the 13amp fuse for a 5amp fuse it will save your PC should there be a power surge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…