computer won't start up

Flabbyfran 12:51 11 Apr 07

I have a medion running xp tried to turn it on this morning and it just makes a rapid clicking noise and the leds on the front rapidly flash. Tuned off main switch and tried again same problem. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

BRYNIT 13:37 11 Apr 07

Things you could try

1 check that you do not have a disk in the CD/DVD drive. Blank/RW CD/DVD disks can prevent the computer from booting due to the CD/DVD drive being set to boot first.

2 Try unplugging the power lead and hold the front start button in for at least 30 seconds, plug back in and try again.

3 If you have the XP disk not the recovery disk you could try repairing windows.

Technotiger 13:47 11 Apr 07

Hi, sounds like a possible PSU fault, try another PSU.

Flabbyfran 14:20 11 Apr 07

Thanks but no joy i'm afraid. Can't open the drives to see whats in them. They don't light up at any stage though.Changed the power lead no different.

Technotiger 14:24 11 Apr 07

It looks even more like you need a new PSU then.

To open CD drives with PC turned off - straighten a strong paper-clip and insert one end into the small hole on the front of the drive, push gently and the drive will open. Never fear, this is exactly why the small holes are there, as a means of opening the drives in an emergency.

Flabbyfran 14:59 11 Apr 07

Yeah, opened drives, both empty. New power supply then where do i get one? and is it a job i can tackle myself?
Thanks again

Technotiger 15:18 11 Apr 07

Any pc shop can provide PSU, prices vary £20 - £50 roughly. Not too difficult to exchange for old one.
Make sure that you get the correct physical size (same as your old one) different makes do vary in size, it must be able to fit in your pc of course.
Depending on how much hardware and the programs you use you should get a PSU that will meet your PC's needs - a 500w should do for most.

Initially the fitting of a PSU looks a bit daunting, so many cables and plugs - but made simpler by the fact that each cable will only fit on the plug/plugs it is meant for.

Best if you can remove the old PSU to take it to a PC shop and get the replacement, the shop assistant will then know exactly which one you need.

Flabbyfran 15:21 11 Apr 07

Thanks all much apprieciated.
Fran

Technotiger 15:32 11 Apr 07

PS - a WARNING - if you do fit it yourself, after opening the PCs' case Earth yourself to release any static electricity in your body (everybody has this, without exception) by simply touching any Metal part of the PCs' case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now