Computer won't start

SimoneT 14:36 04 Feb 07

Help please! Our daughter switched our computer off at the mains the other day without shuting the machine down first. Now the PC won't start, all I get is the noise of the fan, a constant red light but nothing else. Have tried to restart by holding the power button in, but without fail. No beeps no nothing. Any help in getting this fixed is much appreciated. Thanks!

rawprawn 14:49 04 Feb 07

Try and reboot using you XP CD. (assuming XP) you need to enable the machine to boot from CD in Set up

SimoneT 15:11 04 Feb 07

Would love to do that, but as I said, I cannot get anything, no picture, no sounds nothing, so can't reboot using the XP disk.

rawprawn 15:19 04 Feb 07

turn your compter on then go into setup (Hit F2) I think that should get you to the boot order. Change the first boot to CD (It is probably set to your HD.) then go back put your xp cd in turn your computer off, and then back on. it should boot into windows using the cd.

rawprawn 15:24 04 Feb 07

It may be better for you to do a Windows Repair, and this link will also show you better than I can explain how to boot from your CD. click here

SimoneT 15:36 04 Feb 07

Unfortunately I cannot open the CD drive, or get anything on the screen, my monitor shows that there is no signal, so quite clearly the PC is not doing anything at all. Really don't know how to get this resolved.

rawprawn 15:42 04 Feb 07

I think you have a power problem, this link will give you several things to check
click here

SimoneT 15:47 04 Feb 07

Thanks rawprawn, will follow the advice on the link with husband sometime this week. Hopefully all will be well.

Kate B 15:53 04 Feb 07

I hope it's not a fried motherboard. The absence of beeps isn't very good news.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…