Computer Won't Start

Conaire 15:47 14 Apr 06

For the past two days my computer fails to start. Upon trying to start it the power turns on (the fans on the case of the computer light up and start). Upon trying to start the computer by pushing the "Power Button" you can hear and see the computer starting up, but it makes a huge thumping noise through the speakers and the case's fans keep flashing on and off. After a while you can hear the beeping noises of an error (At this time you can't see whats going on as the monitor cannot recieve a signal from the computer). On Wednesday night i managed to get the computer to go on but it wouldn't recognise the keyboard, so i decided to use another keyboard and it worked successfully. The next morning however when trying to start the computer up i'm right back at the beginning.

Is there possibly a problem with the motherboard, in which it fails to recognise attached hardware? The computer is now down the stairs failing to do anything, i'd really appreciate it if anyone could help.

Cheers

remind 15:53 14 Apr 06

First impression is `failing power supply` but it's not the only possibility. Unplug all unneccessary hardware and see what effect it has, if things are improved it's more than likely a PSU problem.

wee eddie 15:56 14 Apr 06

That series of "Beeps" will give you a guide as to what is going wrong.

Conaire 16:41 14 Apr 06

ive inserted a new psu and have got it up and running however the computer isnt recognising any keyboards the one i have connected now, has its num lock , caps lock and scroll lock flashing. the computer when its connected to power automatically starts the cases fans. i found out that the beeping noises were when the keyboard was connected upon start up

Conaire 14:34 16 Apr 06

Woke up this morning and tried to go on the computer but the problem has restarted. Upon plugging the computer in the cases fans will start automatically, but when pushing the power button on the computer itself it doesn't start up. I think it may be the motherboard, is it possibly failing?

Giggle n' Bits 14:39 16 Apr 06

is it more like a Grinding noise ? if so have you inspected the inside and doe you have a graphics card with a Fan fitted. There are so many things it could be and everyone will give different soloutions its trying/checking 1 by 1.

Other thing relating to a knocking noise is the HDD.

Conaire 14:42 16 Apr 06

Its more of a thumping noise and it'll only happen when the speakers are inserted. The graphics card is a Geforce 6600 with a fan attached to it, but i don't think thats the problem.

Conaire 17:37 16 Apr 06

I've removed each of the following items bit by bit to test whether any of the following were causing the problem, which they weren't:

Graphics Card
RAM
Modem

woodchip 17:45 16 Apr 06

check the PSU first with a known good one

Conaire 16:33 17 Apr 06

Went out and bought a new Jeantech PSU worth £40 hoping it would fix the problem. I was wrong and it was a waste of money, the same problems are occuring. E.g inserting the power and the lights on the front of the computer keep flashing on and off, doesn't recognise any keyboards - even to the point of usb keyboards.

woodchip 16:40 17 Apr 06

Then it looks like the MOBO is cooked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…