computer won't start

pookie 10:24 30 Jul 03

work emailed round an update for mcafee anti-virus yesterday that we had to install. one staff did this but she can't boot up. it gets past the 'pressF2 to enter setup' screen and then as far as 'checking memory for viruses ...........ok' but then freezes. no one else has had this problem. we are are using different versions of windows, she is 2000 but others using 2000 have had no problems.

anyway of ammending setup screens so boot up bypasses the chacking for viruses bit. I can then try and sort it when we get windows screen up.

many thanks

pookie 11:02 30 Jul 03

i've tried disabling virus check from bios setup but there is no option for it. i don't have 'advanced bios settings/setup' option and i can't see it anywhere else.

The Transporter 11:04 30 Jul 03

Keep F8 pressed on start up.

You say differnet evrsions of windows, it shouldn't matter as updates are universal. It probably is something else.

Try to get to the main menu, (or just boot from a floppy if necessary) and go to Start - Run

Then type

Scanreg /restore

and select a date that is earleir than when you installed this update.

The pc will reboot.

Then go into event viewer and check to see if you have any red crosses anywhere and with a bit of work you may be able to find what is causing the problem.

pookie 11:19 30 Jul 03

many, many thanks. i wasn't able to use the scanreg/restore but i was able to boot in safe mode and uninstall the anti virus software. so it now boots up as normal. i'll install anti virus later.

The Transporter 11:36 30 Jul 03

My fault with the Scanreg /restore command

I should have said there is a space between the "g" and the "/". As it may not have been clear.

The Transporter :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…