Computer won't shutdown completely

Seadog 21:52 04 Oct 03

I've just built a computer from lots of bits left over after updating two others, everything seems to be working as it should except that when I try to shut it down, the monitor goes blank with no signal but the cpu fan and power supply fan do not stop, i.e. all that appears to be happening is the output from the graphics card to the monitor is switching off but the rest of the system is still running so to speak.
M/b is a gigabyte dual bios GA-6BA7+ with PIII 800 cpu, 32Mb Banshee AGP graphics and Creative AWE 64 sound card (ISA) running win 98se.
Any help is appreciated, it may be something simple I have forgotton in the BIOS! ??

MAJ 21:56 04 Oct 03

Have you enabled "Advanced Power management" in Control Panel > Power Options > APM tab, tick "enable advanced power management" and click Apply, click OK?

Seadog 22:03 04 Oct 03

Yep, thats enabled....................

MAJ 22:09 04 Oct 03

What about disabling Fast Shutdown, Seadog? If I remember correctly, it's an option in msconfig under the Advanced button.

MAJ 22:11 04 Oct 03

Or even installing the Windows 98SE shutdown Supplement. click here after that I'm out of ideas. :-(

powerless 22:14 04 Oct 03
  keith-236785 23:17 04 Oct 03

have you tried pressing the power button on the pc to switch it off?

we have two pcs in our office at work, both DELL systems, when you choose shutdown, one powers down completely, the other one stops at the "restart" message (both pcs running nt4.0) the latter is the newest of the two, only about 9 months old, the other is about three years old.

just a thought.

woodchip 23:25 04 Oct 03

My old second computer is the same you cannot do anything about it as it's a combination of Win98se and the motherboard type that you are using just switch of when the screen goes from gray to black

Seadog 23:46 04 Oct 03

Thanks for the advice chaps, I will have a play tomorrow. From reading the MS website info, it seems like it could be the graphics card/drivers, I had to browse the cd for the correct file when loading the drivers today and I seem to remember that I didn't have to do that when loading them in the old machine - maybe something I have missed..................then again it could be as paperman27 and woodchip say. If I press (and hold)the power button the machine stops and when it is restarted scandisk does not run so windows is not detecting an improper shutdown. (the same happens when I switch the mains power off)

bof:) 11:08 05 Oct 03

Hi Seadog,

Like yourself, I've also had problems closing down a PC with win98se on it. I tried downloading the Microsoft supliment and found that this only worked for a limited time. Then I had to reinstall it.

I was given this close down (by this site) and it has worked for me every time I close down my PC.

1. right click desktop
2. pick new...shortcut
3. in target box type in

c:\windows\rundll32.exe user.exe,exit windows

(there is a gap between the .exe user.exe part)

4. click next
5. shortcut name close to something like shortcut
6. press finish

Mike

Seadog 13:09 05 Oct 03

Thanks for the advice, problem solved after downloading shutdown update from microsoft.
Have made a note of your suggestion bof:) just in case!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…