Computer won't shut down

Mark3Eric 22:43 20 Jun 07

Just finished setting my son's computer up after it arrived with W2000 Pro pre installed. When try to shut down, the PC re-starts with no apparent reason. Any ideas or does it need an exorcism?
Cheeers
Mark

Technotiger 22:51 20 Jun 07

Is this any help ...

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:15 20 Jun 07

Check your power management settings.

Also disable Wake on lan and wake on ring in the BIOS.

Mark3Eric 22:13 21 Jun 07

Been into BIOS, LAN power up is disabled and I have also disabled the power management option. Have not yet located an option for Log-Off action in the BIOS but will look tomorrow.

Is this likely to be a commmon fault or merely specific to WINDOWS 2000?
If all else fails then will an upgrade to XP likely solve the problem?

Mark

Strawballs 22:27 21 Jun 07

We use Win 2000 at work and I have never come across this, the only time I have come across this was once when I changed a motherboard and chip for a friend and only re-activated it and not clean install and there was a conflict between the old and new motherboard drivers causing this to happen but cured with clean install (for all of those wondering how I re-activated it with new MoBo my friend went out and bought retail XP Pro)

woodchip 23:11 21 Jun 07

Have a look hear click here

woodchip 23:13 21 Jun 07
  Mark3Eric 16:35 22 Jun 07

Success at last.Would you believe it!!!!!

I have isolated the problem to a PCI Soundcard. If i remove the card and reinstate the onboard sound then all behaves as it should do. Right, that's this one sorted and now for the nest problem.................

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…