Computer won't recognise external hard drive

YinHoNg 15:15 07 Jul 05

Hi. Using a USB 2.0 IDE adapter, i've attached one of my new hard drives to the computer. It's picked it up as a usb device, but it won't show up in My Computer as a removable device!!!

I need to access this drive to back up my documents.....

Can anybody help me?>

YinHoNg 15:27 07 Jul 05

I've checked disk manager and it the usb device doesn't appear there....

I have tried other hard drives and it's picked it up as a new HD absolutely fine....

I can't work it out!

Bump

Newuser4165 15:29 07 Jul 05

You will need to format the drive before Windows can see it.Install it as a slave device on another pc and format it there as Fat32 - NTFS if you are only using XP.

YinHoNg 15:44 07 Jul 05

I can't format it because it still has my data on it!!!! Is there any way i can get my data off it first?

Danoh 16:16 07 Jul 05

As it has data on it, it can't be a new HD. Please give us more details. Was it an internal IDE HD which had an O/S running on it as well as data?

If so, connect it up as a second internal hard drive first to get your data copied off. Then reformat it while it is still attached as a slave HD. I may now be going down a completely wrong path, so YinHoNg, please don't spare the words and give us more information.

Danoh 16:17 07 Jul 05

Don't wish to mislead ~ whether the HD has an O/S on it or not is most probably relevant.

bremner 16:52 07 Jul 05

It does not matter whether it is formatted or not - or whether it is partitioned or not - disk management should see it and does not.

Does the BIOS see it?

...and if you have placed it in an external caddy then ensure that it is jumpered as master.

YinHoNg 17:57 07 Jul 05

I've tried to put it in as an internal, slave HD but the bios doesn't seem to have detected it!

Just for you to check my procedure: both the IDE1 cable and power cable attached to my current HD each have an extra connector(obviously IDE and power connector).

I attached them both to the relevant slots in the second HD... but the bios still hasn't detected it.

Any ideas?

dan11 18:19 07 Jul 05

Use the second IDE ribbon cable.

First disconnect the second IDE cable from any devices i.e. hard drive or cdroms. Insert the ribbon cable and power plug ( red stripe to red wire ). See if the bios recognizes it now.

dan11 18:19 07 Jul 05

Use the second IDE ribbon cable.

First disconnect the second IDE cable from any devices i.e. hard drive or cdroms. Insert the ribbon cable and power plug ( red stripe to red wire ). See if the bios recognizes it now.

YinHoNg 14:04 14 Jul 05

Thanks but i decided to jsut put a dvd-rw drive in instead... much hassle but at least its done i guess.....
Thanks everybody.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…