Computer won't reboot

emm1 11:22 12 Jul 04

I was working on my computer this morning when it crashed, after restarting it, the following error message appeared: windows.0/system32/config/system. I followed the instructions to try to repair it but it didn't work. I've now tried a full reboot, it starts off ok but when it reaches the screen titled 'Windows XP Home Edition Setup - searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows' it freezes everytime. A full virus check was done before this happened.

Can anyone please help me with this.

Thanks

xania 11:37 12 Jul 04

This is almost certainly a software rather than hardware problem - you don't mention any unusual beeps on POST. So, I would assume that a process corrupted and has impacted you OS.
You need to start off by loading XP in safe mode (F8 during boot-up) to attempt a repair. If this works, this may itself resolve the issue. If it won't load safe, boot from your CD and run the repair tool. If it does, see if that clears the problem. If not, reboot safe and attempt to run your latest restore point. If still no luck, go back to an even earlier point until it does work. If still no luck, try the repair from CD.

emm1 11:54 12 Jul 04

Thanks xania

I have tried to open in safe mode but the same message still appears. The repair tool off the cd does not even open.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…