Computer won't read old programs on CD

John Ross 20:52 01 Feb 04

My daughter has been given some old children's PC games on CD : BBC Tellytubbies etc.
the discs date back to 1996 or so.
My 3 year old NEC desktop or AJP laptop will not recognise the discs in any of 3 drives.
I am running Windows Xp pro.

I am told the programs run fine on the person's PC that has given them.

Thank you

Giggle n' Bits 21:24 01 Feb 04

compatible with WinXP/win XP Pro.

If the person who says they run fine on there pc it most likley they do not run XP Pro

Only other obvious thing I can think of is that you have a damaged/faulty CDROM Drive, try a Audio CD.

kev.Ifty 00:08 02 Feb 04

had similar prob but never tried to resolve it...so bump

Cook2 00:18 02 Feb 04

Goto Start - All programs and left click to open the program folder you are trying to run. Right click on the program icon and then properties wher you will go into compatibility mode. Doesn't work for every program but you may be lucky.

John Ross 21:19 02 Feb 04

Its more a question of the PCs not being able to read the CD at all, so I am wondering if there has been some change in CD format since approx 1996 that makes them unreadable, and whther there is a way around it.

thanks

Cook2 22:21 02 Feb 04

John Ross, I didn't read it correctly. Older programs could be DOS based - XP isn't, I think this is the problem.

If your friend has 98, 98SE or Millennium, they would work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…