Computer won't go into sleep mode

goldenorbs 12:47 PM 27 Oct 11

Dear sirs I wonder if you can help me whenever I put my computer into sleep mode it shuts down and thenafter a couple of seconds it starts up again. I have tried various settings in the power options of the Control Panel but nothing seems to workk. Could you please advise me in any way. Yours Truly P H Millward (goldenorbs)

robin_x 13:08 PM 27 Oct 11

I spilt coffee on my laptop keyboard recently. Some keys don't work and it doesn't stay in sleep. (I really must fix it sometime)

Maybe you have a stuck key or something?

Set to sleep mode and pull keyboard cable out immediately to check. (you'll have to reboot to get keyboard working again)

I am sure there are lots of other causes too.

northumbria61 13:11 PM 27 Oct 11

Which O.S. are you using?

northumbria61 13:13 PM 27 Oct 11

It could also occur if you have a USB Device connected to it ie: a game controller, webcam etc.

goldenorbs 17:08 PM 27 Oct 11

Hi thanksto all who have responded to this query. I am using Vista OS. I have tried disconnecting the keyboard and the mouse immediately after pressing the sleep button. The computer goes into Sleep mode but comes back on straight away. I have also disconnected all other USB leads that are not in use and put it to sleep with the same result.

Thanks again
  northumbria61 21:01 PM 27 Oct 11

Do you have a screen saver ? Make sure that things like the screen saver is not set to come on at the same time as the the screen is turned off or other things that may be set to turn on/off at the same time.

northumbria61 21:08 PM 27 Oct 11

Also - Check the peripherals in Device Manager (Properties - Advanced Tab) and make sure that the power option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is enabled.

Next, review the running processes to see if you can identify something that would be waking up periodically. You could also try disabling the wireless connection when you put it to sleep to see if the network activity is waking it up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…