Computer won't connect to internet via TP link power line.

csmith1000 18:27 PM 01 Feb 13

I have got a TP link wireless router connected by TP link power line ethernet adapters connected to my sky box, one to Samsung Smart TV, which both work fine the third I have connected to my computer. This shows up as as a local area connection but with no internet access. I have similar problems to other people with internet access dropping out after installing Windows * and had hoped an ethernet connection would be more stable. Any thoughts on why I can't connect to the internet via my powerline adapter.

mgmcc 09:02 AM 03 Feb 13

Check that the PC has got its correct IP address from the router by running ipconfig /all in a Command Prompt window. Press the Windows Key + R to open the Run box, type in...

cmd.exe /k ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. It should probably have an address starting with 192.168

csmith1000 20:02 PM 04 Feb 13

The identified i.p. address is shown as (preferred) does this need changing.

mgmcc 20:58 PM 04 Feb 13

A "169.254" IP address is one which Windows has allocated because the PC has been unable to get its correct address from the DHCP server (your router). This address won't let you access either the router or the internet. Check all the connections again.

csmith1000 22:23 PM 05 Feb 13

Thanks for that. It led me to do what I should have done in the first place checked it on a working system and it looks like the problem is a faulty power line. Off back to Maplins..

csmith1000 22:24 PM 05 Feb 13

Sorry should have read faulty power line adapter..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…