Computer won't close down.

heavymetalkid 00:33 18 Jun 06

From time to time my machine refuses to shut down. I'm running XP, got a half decent relatively new Evesham computer, yet, as I said , from time to time it gets as far as " saving your settings" but won't go any further and I've got to use the main power switch. Can anyone help?

rdave13 00:48 18 Jun 06

Right click on toolbar and bring up task manager, see what's running. End applications exept for your browser and see if you can shutdown normally.

I'm online now and using Opera as my browser and no other application is listed.

nickersraybo 01:09 18 Jun 06

Got a similar problem I think? My pc will not activate its screensaver even though ive set it to activate via the display settings in windows. Cant get the pc to go into sleep mode either. Help please.

Diodorus Siculus 01:16 18 Jun 06

Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter
click here

rodriguez 01:32 18 Jun 06

Sometimes computers will take ages over the shutdown procedure because of what's what's running in the background and how fragmented the hard drive is etc. W

rodriguez 01:34 18 Jun 06

Sometimes computers will take ages over the shutdown procedure because of what's what's running in the background and how fragmented the hard drive is etc. When it's halfway through shutdown it should be ok to just press and hold the power button to make it switch off - just make sure the hard drive light ent on. If it sits there with no hard drive activity during shutdown, it had most probably crashed so just push the power button in until it goes off.

rodriguez 01:36 18 Jun 06

Ignore the post above the proper one coz it just posted it when I was part way through typing it - I don't know why. Might be coz I just been in the pub and drunk about 9 pints and a load of sambukas and I might have knocked the button... oops. Just ignore the post above the one that's above this one... if that makes sense....

rdave13 01:56 18 Jun 06

Hope you're in bed zedding it now! Maybe read from you tomorrow....lol.

With apologies to heavymetalkid!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…