Computer won't boot, but fan is on

eevie 12:12 10 Nov 08

Hi
my computer had been left on whilst I was out, when I returned the monitor showed it was in standby and the computer fan was making a louder whirr than usual. I turned off the computer, by pressing the button, now I can't get the computer to boot up. It will turn on and I can hear the fan - louder than usual, I hear a couple of other sounds, but nothing that sounds like the hard drive working and the monitor stays in stand-by. The computer does not have a hard drive light, so I cannot check this. The computer is about 5 years old and is runnng windows 98. Before this it was working fine, the only software added recently was yesterday when my daughter got a new phone and loaded up the samsung software, oh and then didn't turn the computer off properly last night so it was still on this morning, but I used it today and it worked ok.

Any help appreciated

woodchip 14:06 10 Nov 08

You need a new PSU, it may have destroyed the MOBO and cpu along with it. If it does not beep once at boot, and it did before this will nearly confirm it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 10 Nov 08

shutdown
switch off at mains socket
hold power switch in for 30 seconds
switch mains on and reboot.

Pineman100 18:25 10 Nov 08

I hope eevie won't mind if I ask a supplementary question - what does that process do exactly? I'm just interested to know.

woodchip 19:06 10 Nov 08

It clears static build up on the motherboard empties capacitors so USB's also work after the above

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 10 Nov 08

Static build up can prevent various things from working such as the IDE controller (no hard drive - no boot), fans running plus other sounds like PSU maybe OK and its just not booting through the BIOS.

Pineman100 12:29 12 Nov 08

Thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos