Computer won't boot at all then if it does it hangs during startup

thosjc 16:49 PM 24 Jun 12

On return from holiday my computer wound not boot . Fans were on but no splash screen. I found a couple of similar examples on the forum and as suggested turned everything off unplugged all peripherals, held down power switch for 40secs reconnected everything and tried again this time I got as far as the desktop opening but the system thn hung -I think when loading the grraphics driver. I repeated this all a few more times with same results -no initial boot eventually getting through using the 'discharge' sequence but then hanging when loading startup drivers. My Computer is about 3yrs old. Is there anything I can try to fix or at least narrow down the source of the problem before I buy unnecessary hardware?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 PM 24 Jun 12

Remove refit memory modules and graphics card (if separate)then retry

report back

if you can get to Advance menu using F8 (or F5) select startup repair.

thosjc 18:03 PM 24 Jun 12

Thank you fruit bay. Seems to have worked. I'm now running a virus scan in case and will watch what happens but so far so good.

rdave13 18:06 PM 24 Jun 12

I would also check the time and date is correct.

birdface 18:33 PM 24 Jun 12

Also check the air vents for dust and fluff.if so inside will also need cleaning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11