Computer Won't boot up after restart pressed

Hercules02 13:37 PM 10 Jul 13

Hello My daughter was playing "Rome total war" and pressed restart while it was loading. Now the computer won't boot up, and she thinks its because pressing restart has messed up the boot up settings. When I looked in the BIOS it seems that its not detecting the Hard Disk. This looks like a hard drive failure to me, but could it be due to the interruption of loading or some kind of malware?

Thanks for any help

Press Man 14:08 PM 10 Jul 13

Is this a laptop or a desktop machine?

Hercules02 15:06 PM 10 Jul 13

Hello Press Man Its a desktop pc, running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Press Man 15:41 PM 10 Jul 13

If you feel you can, try the following: -

1. Turn off power and unplug machine
  2. Press start button to disipate any stored power in the system
  3. Remove cover of machine and disconnect HDD,
  4. Reboot machine, you should get a message on screen saying "no boot device found" or words to that effect.
  5. Repeat steps 1 & 2 and reconnect the HDD then reboot.

If that does'nt work try removing the CMOS battery, its the silver looking objec, about the size of a ten pence piece, and leave it out for a couple of minutes, this will set your bios back to standard settings, then replace the battery. Carry out steps 1 & 2 above before removing battery.

Hercules02 15:56 PM 10 Jul 13

Thanks Press Man After leaving it switched off for a while, I just tried it again, and it came on normally. This was before I got your suggestions above so it seems to have fixed itself! I will print and keep your message in case it happens again. I suppose it might be an insecure cable on the HDD, but your points cover that anyway. I do know that the case hasn't been opened since we got the computer from Dell.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Hercules

Press Man 16:03 PM 10 Jul 13

If its never been opened, I would suggest it may be worth opening just to give it a gentle "spring clean" i.e. loose fluff, remove and clean the fans and fan grilles etc. Make sure the power is off and unplugged before going inside the machine

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…