Computer wont boot after disconnecting slave hdd

Rich B 18:54 18 Jan 05

I have a MSI K7N2delta motherboard with 2 hdds connected. i wanted to remove he slave drive so that i could use it to try out Linux on, but as soon as i remove the drive the pc will no longer boot windows xp pro from the master drive.
The pc gets as far as detecting the ide drives then hangs, then it get to loading the bios and tells me the is no boot drive, i've tried having the windows cd in at this point but that doesn't load either.

Any ideas would be greatfully recieved

Diodorus Siculus 18:58 18 Jan 05

Could well be that XP loaded the boot partition onto the slave drive...

In the BIOS is the machine set to boot from CD?

Rich B 19:02 18 Jan 05

i formatted the slave drive earlier and it's completly empty.

And yes, it is set to boot form cd.

If i have the slave connected, but dissabled in the bios, everything works fine. it only stops if i physicly disconnect the slave.

Technotiger 19:14 18 Jan 05

Hi, maybe too simplistic, or say, just a thought
but I would respectfully suggest A) recheck jumper setting Master/Slave? B) if just the one hdd, put it on the ide cable connected at the 'centre' position on the cable i.e. not on the end of cable. C) set BIOS to boot from hdd.
D) thoroughly check all other connections inside case.

Sorry if I am 'trying to teach my granny' etc but as I said, just a thought.

Rich B 19:16 18 Jan 05

no that's fine simply things are what i usually forget but this time, i've tried all of those

Technotiger 20:12 18 Jan 05

Sorry I could not be of any help, I have been wracking my brains to think of something, but.

Still, if you wait long enough I am sure someone will come up with a better idea or two.

Djohn 20:19 18 Jan 05

Technotiger may be on the right track. It may be that you have the drives set to Cable select and the PC will sort out the drive for itself when booting. [Assuming the jumpers are set that way as well].

Try replacing the drive you removed and remove the current one to see if it boots, just might be that you've left the slave drive in and taken the master out. Again apologies if this has been checked but I too can't think of what else it may be at the moment..

Djohn 20:21 18 Jan 05

I've just noticed you have formatted the slave drive, I hope that my suggestion is way off track in this instance. :o(

JonnyTub 20:31 18 Jan 05

see if your pc will boot with the formatted slave as master and the other removed

Rich B 22:20 18 Jan 05

i've disconected the master and it tells me that it has no system disk. so i don't think the boot partition is on the slave.

Rich B 22:33 18 Jan 05

Try the slave drive connected on it's own but set as a master and i get the message

NTLDR is Missing

haven't got a clue what this means

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…