computer wont boot up

sinbad1 20:56 29 May 05

unable to boot into safe mode need to install Windows root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.(xp home)

my freind has no xp disc or recovery disc does anyone have a solutoin to this problem?

andrew-196854 21:14 29 May 05

whats the name model of pc this may help a bit more detail please

VoG II 21:15 29 May 05

click here

Any Windows XP CD will do.

sinbad1 21:17 29 May 05

Not sure of the model but is a median bought at aldi a year ago

sinbad1 21:29 29 May 05

he had no recovery discs or cd i have said to him he would probably need xp home disc to put things right just thought there may be a way round this.

a freind of his does have an xp disc so once he gets that i think should be able to repair his comp.

he also mentioned pci driver missing error so maybe there are more problems?

thanks for your response

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:06 29 May 05

If its a Medion then there will be a backup D:\ and a recovery E:\ folder on the hard drive.

Use of the recovery folder will restore the PC to its factory settings of a year ago.

All the drivers are in the backup partion.

ntoskrnl.exe is compressed in the c:\windows\i386 folder so:-

expand c:\windows\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\Windows\system32

will do the job.

sinbad1 22:12 29 May 05

Thanks Fruit bat /\o/\ but cannot boot up safe mode or otherwise just comes up with the error.

no recovery disc or cd.

can only access bios?

woodchip 22:39 29 May 05

I Have a Medion Desktop, and Laptop, and All discs are supplied, Full XP Home CD, and a Recovery CD, Plus OEM Works CD, and OEM Nero 6 CD.

woodchip 22:41 29 May 05

PS E;\is Recovery partition with Image files. D:\ is Backup Partition All Drivers and Software on this Partition.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:42 29 May 05

Recovery folder is FAT32 so will show up of a win98 boot floppy

Backup folder for drivers is NTSF. so will need the XP CD or 6 boot floppies from click here

Does the medion have a floppy drive? You can also boot these machines from a card in the card reader. if you down load the boot files and copy thenm to a card / stick.

woodchip 23:00 29 May 05

The recovery only work's With the Correct CD for the Computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…