computer wont boot up

sinbad1 20:56 29 May 05

unable to boot into safe mode need to install Windows root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.(xp home)

my freind has no xp disc or recovery disc does anyone have a solutoin to this problem?

andrew-196854 21:14 29 May 05

whats the name model of pc this may help a bit more detail please

VoG II 21:15 29 May 05

click here

Any Windows XP CD will do.

sinbad1 21:17 29 May 05

Not sure of the model but is a median bought at aldi a year ago

sinbad1 21:29 29 May 05

he had no recovery discs or cd i have said to him he would probably need xp home disc to put things right just thought there may be a way round this.

a freind of his does have an xp disc so once he gets that i think should be able to repair his comp.

he also mentioned pci driver missing error so maybe there are more problems?

thanks for your response

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:06 29 May 05

If its a Medion then there will be a backup D:\ and a recovery E:\ folder on the hard drive.

Use of the recovery folder will restore the PC to its factory settings of a year ago.

All the drivers are in the backup partion.

ntoskrnl.exe is compressed in the c:\windows\i386 folder so:-

expand c:\windows\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\Windows\system32

will do the job.

sinbad1 22:12 29 May 05

Thanks Fruit bat /\o/\ but cannot boot up safe mode or otherwise just comes up with the error.

no recovery disc or cd.

can only access bios?

woodchip 22:39 29 May 05

I Have a Medion Desktop, and Laptop, and All discs are supplied, Full XP Home CD, and a Recovery CD, Plus OEM Works CD, and OEM Nero 6 CD.

woodchip 22:41 29 May 05

PS E;\is Recovery partition with Image files. D:\ is Backup Partition All Drivers and Software on this Partition.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:42 29 May 05

Recovery folder is FAT32 so will show up of a win98 boot floppy

Backup folder for drivers is NTSF. so will need the XP CD or 6 boot floppies from click here

Does the medion have a floppy drive? You can also boot these machines from a card in the card reader. if you down load the boot files and copy thenm to a card / stick.

woodchip 23:00 29 May 05

The recovery only work's With the Correct CD for the Computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

Apple predictions 2017