Computer will only boot into 16 colours +

640x480, also on booting it pauses and on screen says Driver Oak Technology Inc. OTI-91X Atapi CD-Rom device driver, Rev D91XV352 Device name D: MSCD000.
I haven't been able to find this on the computer.
I have a Pentium 111 500mhz, 128 ram, windows 98 se
Dvd rom, external cd/rw.
I get error messages on start up, using some programmes and it says the printer isn't installed, when it is.
Some weeks before this happened I would have to reboot several times, as the screen would be coloured lines or blocks, and then it would be fine, so I didn't know if these are different problems , or connected .
Any help would be much appreciated.

DieSse 00:15 06 Apr 05

It appeears you might have a faulty graphics card.

Check in Device Manager if it tells you what model Display adapter you have.

Also look inside the case, see if there is a fan and/or on the graphics card, and if it's still working and hasn't fallen off (yes, I've seen stuck on heatsinks that have done just that!).

THE TERMINATOR 00:19 06 Apr 05

Have you changed the display settings, to change the resolution and number of colours?

THE TERMINATOR 00:21 06 Apr 05

Sorry, to do this right click the desktop and choose properties from the menu, or open control panel and click on display.

THE TERMINATOR 00:37 06 Apr 05

As far as your CD-Rom goes, I don't think the driver is been loaded at startup. Try the following link click here and check your Autoexec.bat and config.sys files are loading the right drivers.The driver might have a name like OakTechCDrom.sys, but it will be in the root of your C: drive.

THE TERMINATOR 00:43 06 Apr 05

The problem with coloured lines or blocks, could be that your refresh rate is too low.Go to display settings and click on the advanced button, click on the monitor tab and change your refresh rate a little higher and see if this does the trick.

THE TERMINATOR 00:49 06 Apr 05

As for your printer, this often happens and what you need to do is delete the one one listed in "printers and faxes" in control panel, and add it once again, this usually does the trick.

THE TERMINATOR 00:54 06 Apr 05

Another problem with your colours and resolution is, If you are using a wallpaper that is mainly black and white, could be forcing Windows to use a low colour setting because that is all that is needed.

Gandalph 01:56 06 Apr 05

I don't think your 128 Megs of RAM are doing you much good with this problem. Try and get some more RAM, I would suggest at least another 128 Megs and see if that will help.

THE TERMINATOR 02:01 06 Apr 05

More memory will not put this problem right 128mb is enough.

it will not boot into a higher resolution. The dvd rom still works so I don't know if it would if the drivers weren't loaded. As to the graphics, I checked it device manager and the card is Riva Tnt, it says it is working o.k., but I will check inside the case again. Would a very dirty fan affect it?
Thanks for all the suggestions so far

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…