Computer will not turn off and links will not work

Will 09:45 11 Jul 13

Good morning all, as the title suggests my computer will not shut down. I am presently turning it off by pressing the off button for 5 secs but I expect this is storing up problems for me. The latest thing is that links will not work, the icon chchanges over the link but the link does not opperate, including the windows update request? I am running XP. I have AVG and Adaware. I think it may be a setting somewhere but why did it occur in the first place? I am a merchant seaman and I am just back from sea, my son uses it while I am away so there is a possibility that has something to do with it :-). Any suggestions would be greatfully recieved.

Will 09:53 11 Jul 13

mmm. The "click here" will not link as expected? it seems that some links do work but most do not.

Will 09:56 11 Jul 13

just going to the MS website to see if I can do things manually, I will be back in awhile.... I hope.

lotvic 11:22 11 Jul 13

Jock1e's link, ( copy into notepad - remove all the spaces - copy and paste url into browser address bar)

h t t p : / / w w w .malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

I think you may need to use the Malwarebytes Chameleon (mbam-chameleon zip file) for an already infected computer)

h t t p : / / w w w .malwarebytes.org/products/chameleon/

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced