Computer will not start up.

valbv 14:26 15 Jan 08

I have a hand-me-down laptop which spins the hard drive on start but then stops with nothing on the screen. I would like to reformat the drive and then load either Windows 98 SE or XP Home but neither disc does anything other than spin. Can anyone suggest a solution. There is no floppy slot but I have an old floppy cart.

PO79 14:32 15 Jan 08

Have you set the CD Drive as the first boot option in the BIOS, then put in your OS disks and it should boot from that

valbv 15:39 15 Jan 08

Thanks but I cannot produce anything on screen. Please also disregard the Floppy I mentioned. I have no suitable socket for it.

Technotiger 15:46 15 Jan 08

Sounds as if you have been given 'a-pig-in-a-poke', however tell us a bit more about the laptop, what make and model for starters! Did you get any software with it, like OS CD's for instance, or any Paper-work that might give us a clue?

valbv 21:16 15 Jan 08

Hi Technotiger. Many thanks. The laptop is an Evesham M3000N 512Mb,40Gb Hard Drive, but no disks and no partition for recovery,loaded with Windows XP Professional & buusiness programs. It worked for about 6 months but slowly. I wanted to downgrade the OP sys. for the grandchildren to play their games/dvd's. I tried to reformat the C Drive but the computer would not allow it. The computer bears the label and code for Windows Home Premium so at some time it has been updated. I was informed that if I used my other computer's Windows Home Premium disk but use the code on the back of the computer when requested it would replace the 'Professional' prog. All went well until Windows downloaded some updates and switched off. Now it will not go beyond a few flashing lights and a blank screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:08 15 Jan 08

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

valbv 23:01 15 Jan 08

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\
Thanks for reply. However I re-iterate that apart from seeing the hard drive flicker its indicator on the keyboard I have no screen response at all, completely black. I have no other documentation to refer to. As a relative novice in the workings of computers I am at a loss. If I could access the BIOS then I could perhaps proceed. I have tried starting with the XP disk in, also holding down the F8 key, both to no avail.

Technotiger 23:08 15 Jan 08

To try to boot into Safe mode you don't hold-down the F8 key, you tap it repeatedly during boot-up.

Or to try and get to the BIOS menu you could try holding down Del during boot-up.

valbv 00:10 16 Jan 08

Hi technotiger
Sorry, neither method worked. I was hoping maybe I could reformat the HD if all else failed. If there are any other options please continue to offer them, otherwise Many thanks to you who responded. I think I will have to take it to the repairers.

Technotiger 08:52 16 Jan 08

If you could put the hard drive into a USB enclosure, you could then attach it to another PC and format it that way.

click here

valbv 12:29 16 Jan 08

Hi Technotiger.
I have arranged for the drive to be wiped and reloaded with the XP Home Program at a reasonable cost. I appreciate the point about a USB enclosure and will get one as I do have a spare drive from a previous machine.
Thanks again to all for the help. The Forum really is a great place to meet people who care. Regards, Bvalen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…