Computer will not start up

John Hodges 15:54 22 Feb 05

My computer was working well. When trying to start up now it beeps three times - and then nothing happens. Power light and HD light show activity - but does not even progress to checking floppy drive let alone activating monitor. Just three beeps - a pause then 3 beeps - and so on ad infinitum. Cannot find an expalnation for the 3 beeps during the POST. Can anyone help?
Currently using friend's computer.
John Hodges

Happy Soul 15:59 22 Feb 05

It could be Base 64k mem failure (Bad memory?)

Search for your motherboard to double check the codes.

MichelleC 16:00 22 Feb 05

This may help click here

VoG II 16:00 22 Feb 05
  georgemac © 16:41 22 Feb 05

you need to open your pc and have a look at how many memory modules are fitted - remember to take anti static precautions

I always switch the socket off at the wall and leave the cable connected and touch the case first

check the memory modules are firmly seated - if there are more than 1 remove them 1 at a time and try the pc with each one in turn to see if it works

when you have the side off check to see that copious amounts of dust have not gathered inside around the cpu cooler and other components

also look at the motherboard make and model which is usually printed somewhere on the motherboard or post back your system model - this will allow us to identify the bios beep codes. pretty sure it is pointing at memory failure

georgemac © 16:44 22 Feb 05

click here guide if you are unsure

John Hodges 19:36 22 Feb 05

I have identified the beep code - and it indicates base 64 K RAM failure. Where is this located (presume onboard memory)and am I therefore looking at replacing the motherboard?

georgemac © 20:53 22 Feb 05

not on onboard memory - on one of the memory modules - the motherboard is beeping at you telling you where the fault lies - there is every chance it is OK.

georgemac © 21:03 22 Feb 05

from a help site "Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…