Computer will not shut down

corc2 00:32 31 Dec 06

Came to shutdown my pc tonight and it would not do it. Tried 3 times but will not shut down or let me log off. I have XP SP2 with IE7 and latest Windows updates, AVG 7 and Kerio firewall. I have checked through Task Manager and can't find any problem there. Browsed Google for an answer but can't find anything particularly relevant to me. Any ideas before I manually switch it off? TIA

terryf 00:37 31 Dec 06

Crash it but push F8 when you re-boot into Safe mode, if that boots up ok then try a normal reboot. Let us know what happens.

p;3 02:38 31 Dec 06

what you might also need to know is that, unless you already have it, the avg version is now 7.5

click here

the link to the exe is

click here

corc2 17:01 31 Dec 06

Computer did finally shut down after a few more attempts. I think that a program I had been using (Orion Platinum) hadn't closed down properly when I had exited it. It didn't show up on Task manager though. I have a memory programme running (FreeRAM XP Pro)and freed up some memory, went through shut down procedure and it did it straight away. Thanks for the advice.

p;3 17:30 31 Dec 06

you will need to do the avg update to the newer version as the older one will no longer function shortly

good to know the computer will now shut down when asked to :))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…