computer will not boot from any source

dbrae 12:00 21 Oct 04

My computer will not boot up from any of: hard drive, floppy, Cd-rom. Windows 98se is the OS. I can get into setup using the delete key but cannot get it to boot up.

JonnyTub 12:06 21 Oct 04

have you checked the bios to make sure it's set to boot from these?

Caså 12:07 21 Oct 04

First in setup,can you select default or standard settings or like.

Does it boot then?

Michendi 12:13 21 Oct 04

And you have checked all the usual things.....? like cables, connections, cards properly seated, RAM is OK, nothing loose.... ?

dbrae 12:15 21 Oct 04

Can get into Bios and it is setup to boot from: 1 floppy. 2 hard disk. 3 CDrom. Have tried from default settings and failsafe settings. Cannot start even in safe mode.

Diemmess 12:27 21 Oct 04

Have you checked what is found in BIOS? Does it show the presence of your HD and Floppy drive?

Can you see during the bootup process (in the DOS screens which scroll), any listing of your HD and other significant statements? Also, at the very beginning, does the screen show a memory check with the correct amount of RAM?

It could be that you have a failure of the IDE controller on your motherboard.

Caså 12:47 21 Oct 04

At what point does it stop,on it's own.

dbrae 20:55 22 Oct 04

For no apparent reason and after no action on my part the computer is now booting up ok. I am busy backing up all my files. Everything looked Ok in the Bios when I had the problem, it just wouldn't go beyond the maker's logo screen which is the 2nd screen after power up.

algernonymous 21:14 22 Oct 04

That's what mine's been doing. I get a 'Win 98' screen then nothing. It was like it for a couple of days, then it worked OK a couple of times, now it's gone again. (I've got 98SE too)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:31 22 Oct 04

Failing at Win logo screen sounds like driver problems, will it boot to safe mode?

Try uninstalling and re installing all drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…