Computer will not boot after "infinite loop" error

aduffelluk 17:08 30 Nov 07

My hitherto trusty Packard-Bell iPower 5441 has developed a persistent fatal error. Sometimes it will load up windows but then display the message "windows has been shut down due to the file nv4_disp getting stuck in an infinite loop", and the other times (usually the second time onwards that I try it per day), it does not boot at all - not even the screen comes on, making it nigh on impossible to fix.

The error message said that this points to a problem with either the device itself or the device drivers programming hardware incorrectly.

Any thoughts on how I can improve this in that very limited window of 2 minutes per day when it actually starts up?! I've had Safe Mode suggested but wasn't able to get on to it in the time that it took me to read the menu and remember what key it was!

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:32 30 Nov 07

TRY FIRST

- Load optimized defaults in your BIOS and do not modify memory settings
- set your memory settings in the BIOS less aggressively and test
- make sure you have an adequate power supply
- disable or enable AGP fast write and test (this has worked for some people)

It’s a memory timing problem that only happens when the RX55 register is opened. Some motherboard manufacturers have already released new BIOS that have the register closed. In other instances, this patch is needed.
click here

To install it, unzip the file and run the setup.exe Do not run the setup from the compressed folder.

So what does it do? It closes the RX55 memory register in BIOS. The RX55 register's official name and function is Memory Write Queue (MWQ) timer. The MWQ timer is actually a timing device included in the memory host controller to prevent write data being held in the memory queue too long. After the data has been in the queue too long it times out. This timed out data is then given a higher write request priority. Now that might sound nice – a bit of extra performance BUT the procedure fails when overloaded. 3D games and Win XP put too much load on the memory queuing timer procedure. The nVidia new driver exaggerates the problem even more as the driver enables nVidia cards to use even more memory than previous driver versions.

aduffelluk 10:28 02 Dec 07

Sounds like good advice. Only trouble is a) the boot screen doesn't stay on long enough for me to see what F key to press to get into BIOS (no, I don't go in very often), and b) there's still only that window of one boot per day when it actually boots up properly...

Technotiger 10:41 02 Dec 07

Try repeatedly pressing F8 on boot ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…