computer will not boot up.

jah1610 21:59 10 Jan 11

Help needed!!

I was using my machine this evening when it hung & would not do anything, i turned the machine off left it a couple of minites & then turned it back on.

The machine turned on, the 2 lights on the front came on & stayed on. The machine did not boot up & the hard drive was quiet. The monitor could not pick up a signal. I have tried to boot it up a number of time but no luck I have also used my tv/monitor but the same again.

Any body have any ideas (i'm not that tech minded!!)

GaT7 22:03 10 Jan 11

What operating system (OS) are you using?

Do you have the original OS install disc? G

jah1610 22:10 10 Jan 11

windows xp & yes i do have the original disc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 10 Jan 11

Any lights/ noises from fans or the DVD drive?

GaT7 22:18 10 Jan 11

Sorry, I don't know where I was going with that as you cannot boot at all.

It could be a number of things. Do you have another PC whose components you could temporarily swap? Everything may not be compatible with each other, but you may be able to narrow it down a bit. E.g. if the hard drive is faulty, one from another PC (assuming it's compatible) can be tried.

Any beeps at all? G

woodchip 22:21 10 Jan 11

I would say the Hard Drive as failed

jah1610 22:23 10 Jan 11

2 lights on orange & green. Machine beeps as you turn it on. Lights light up then stay on. The fan is on as you can here it.

woodchip 22:25 10 Jan 11

will it go into BIOS if so check if BIOS can see the Drive on the First page of BIOS.

Try tapping Delete key as its starting for BIOS

GaT7 22:46 10 Jan 11

The monitor is not picking up a signal, so won't be possible to enter the BIOS (that's where I was going initially - repair-install).

Disconnect the PC from the mains, open the case & detach & re-attach cables, especially the hard drive(s) one. If no go, do the same with the other cables, RAM modules & graphics card (if it has one) - remove & reseat. G

woodchip 14:55 11 Jan 11

Disconnect the Hard Drive then see if it shows anything on screen for BIOS. I had a Samsung Drive that was faulty and stopped PC booting, nothing on screen

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:21 11 Jan 11

Machine beeps as you turn it on

One beep is good, means its completed the BIOS test

More than one beep indicates a problem see click here for list of cods for your BIOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant