computer will not boot

rum98 15:04 26 Dec 07

Using winXP pro SP2. when starting desktop computer the windows XP logo is displayed while loading then after a few seconds the monitor just turns black. It does not proceed to show the blue screen. The computer practically hangs. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Technotiger 15:14 26 Dec 07

Do you get any beeps during start-up?

Quiller. 15:14 26 Dec 07

Try and start the computer in safe mode. You do this by tapping the F8 key when you start up the computer.

rum98 15:53 26 Dec 07

Thanks guys for your response.

Yes it beeps after i power up the computer. It then starts to perform its diagnostic function by displaying the processor and RAM specs. It then proceeds to detail the hard drives up to the point that the windows XP logo is displayed and then the screen just blacks out and eventually hangs. I can still access the bios setup without any problems.

Was able to enter the menu showing the safe mode option. Selected it but still did not load in the safe mode option.

Jim_F 16:17 26 Dec 07

My belief is that this generally happens when either the bootloader or OS files are corrupted and in my experience a repair install or fresh install is generally the best answer.

An outside chance is the PSU as this takes a hammering when the disk drives wind up and Windows starts - if you can disconnect peripherals (DVD, USB, PCI cards) to reduce the load its worth trying this first (and cheaper than buying a new PSU !).

Quiller. 16:39 26 Dec 07

Do a repair, as suggested by Jim_F

A guide to help you.

click here

Technotiger 16:41 26 Dec 07

How many Beeps? Number of beeps gives indication of possible fault.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:52 26 Dec 07

windows XP logo and blue bars scrolling has passed the boot loader option and is loading drivers.

Tap F8 while booting, select safe mode from the list.

If it boots as far as samode then go into device manager and uninstall the drivers one at a time (start with graphis) and reboot see if it can then get to normal mode. this will tell you which driver is causing the problem.

Reinstall the problem driver and all should be well.

Technotiger 16:57 26 Dec 07

rum98 said ...

"safe mode option. Selected it but still did not load in the safe mode option."

Waiting to find out number of beeps.

rum98 17:04 26 Dec 07

Technotiger - only one beep after I power on the computer.

Fruitbat - did reach the safe mode option menu. tried everything there but still unable to open windows XP in safe mode

Technotiger 17:05 26 Dec 07

Try removing and then re-seating your RAM stick(s).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos