computer will not boot

onthecauseway 12:53 28 Nov 05

Had broadband installed on Saturday morning and took the opertunity on afternoon to download critical updates from Microsoft. All seemed to be going well, then aasked for a reboot. Now runs through bios screen, XP logo screen appears followed by black screen then back to bios screen, and so on and so on.

Anyone help me get my computer back ?

Pedlow 13:07 28 Nov 05

Try booting into Safe Mode (F8 on startup) and run System Restore from there.

onthecauseway 13:09 28 Nov 05

Tried f8 and safe mode and last good start. All with the same ongoing loop.

Pedlow 13:25 28 Nov 05

What device are you trying to boot from? If you aren't getting any error messages, I would try changing the boot sequence. Failing this, you'll have to enter the Recovery Console to repair any damaged files.

onthecauseway 13:30 28 Nov 05

I've so far only tried booting from the HDD. I'm going to try booting from the XP CD this evening. Any suggestions on what to run, repair, recovery console or install.
Error message: After the XP logo (scrolling blue bar bit then black screen there is for a fractional of a scond a glimpse of possibly blue screen of death. It's too quick to read anything.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 28 Nov 05

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…