Computer will not boot

jessej 12:34 28 Oct 05

Grandson's computer, a three to four year old Evesham which is getting past it.
Windows XP Pro.
The computer starts up and goes to the first couple of boot screens then the next screen says the computer was not switched off properly and gives various boot options, i.e. Safe Mode and Boot normally at last good configuration. It doesn't matter what is selected, it just goes through the whole process again.
I have tried booting from the CD without success, the same happens.
I am now told that a wrong password was entered and the computer locked up afterwards.
If this is the cause how can I clear all the passwords, there are at least three on it as it is used by three different people.
I've looked through BIOS, which I can get into, and can't see anything in there to help.
If I remember right, one way is to take the battery out for a few seconds. Another involves moving jumpers on the Motherboard, but which ones?
Any help will, as always, be greatly appreciated.

ventanas 13:23 28 Oct 05

I've had this continuous startup loop happen to me twice in the past, both times on different Evesham machines. I had the same as you, none of the options would work. The only advice Evesham could give was to reformat and start again. I don't see how a wrong password would lock a computer, this could be a red herring. After trying all I could think of at the time I had to accept it. The only cure was to reformat.

Skills 13:28 28 Oct 05

Check that its set to boot from cd in the BIOS as the first boot device.

The try booting from the xp cd maybe doing a repair of xp might get it going again.

jessej 13:55 28 Oct 05

Thank you for your replies, but, as I said, the computer will not boot from a CD so reformatting or repair is not an option.
It gets to the first screen showing the Windows logo (Windows loading) then goes to the screen offering to boot at last known good configuration or safe mode. Even selecting Safe Mode makes no difference, its just a continuous loop. BTW, CD ROM is selected as first boot in BIOS but is being ignored.

Skills 14:05 28 Oct 05

Does the machine have a floppy drive if so try downloading the xp boot disks it takes 6 floppys, then see if you can boot using these and then do a repair from the xp cd click here

Confab 14:08 28 Oct 05

could you make CD 1st 2nd and 3rd boot device in BIOS and see if this helps.

jessej 14:16 28 Oct 05

Thanks again, I will try both and get back to you.

jessej 18:45 28 Oct 05

Well I've done as suggested by skills and confab, neither has worked. The Boot Setup disks worked, after a fashion, everything loaded and I ended up with a C prompt where I got the message to type EXIT to continue. After that it was back to square one. Did I misunderstand the message I wonder, no doubt someone will tell me, I hope. If so, what should I have typed in? At the time I was going for a Repair. I'm thinking I should have typed maybe something like Format, but I'm not sure about these command prompts.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:55 28 Oct 05

At the C:
type Fixboot press enter

then type fixmbr press enter

then type exit to reboot the PC, It should then boot to windows

i.tech 22:11 28 Oct 05

Moving jumpers on the motherboard will reset the BIOS password, but as you can get into that, it won't help.

i.tech 22:18 28 Oct 05

Do you notice a message informing you of a missing system file? NTDETECT.com being deleated will often send the computer into a continual loop - if this is the case you will need to copy the file from somewhere - either an XP startup disk or the original CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…